An ordinary stick lives an extraordinary life in
My newly released picture book A Stick Until…, published by Star Bright Books, follows an ordinary stick on a extraordinary journey. The stick is used by a wide range of animals, dwindles in size, is lost, found and used again. Thus the title of the book.
A stick is a branch of a tree until it is a flyswatter, it is a flyswatter until it is a walking cane, a walking cane until …
Thanks to everyone who came out to the book launch at Mrs. Dalloway’s Bookstore. I enjoyed sharing my process and seeing everyone. And, we sold out of books!
See photos of the book launch on my blog here: http://www.candersonart.com/blog/a-stick-until-book-launch/
SCBWI East Bay Regional event: How To Make An Alligator Out of an Envelope, and Other Steps In The Creative Process, Saturday, September 23, 2-4 PM, St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Walnut Creek
SCBWI Oakland Conference, Saturday, October 21, book selling and signing.
Charlie’s Corner children’s bookstore, 12:30 PM, 4102 24th St. San Francisco, CA, book reading and signing www.charliescorner.com/
Smelling Sunshine, a picture book that I wrote and illustrated, published by Star Bright Books, was released in October, 2013! Smelling Sunshine is a story that creates a path through various cultures by describing one world doing an ordinary chore of hanging laundry that becomes extraordinary in its personal nighttime comfort. Kirkus Reviews said, “…when it comes to domestic chores, hanging laundry is about as universal as it gets, and the activity is presented here as an intimate, positive experience for parent and child to share.”
So check it out! You can order directly from the publisher http://www.starbrightbooks.org/details.php?id=411 or from amazon http://amzn.com/1595726365 or support your independent bookstore http://www.indiebound.org/
2016 book signings and book selling:
- I will be at the Bay Area Book Festival, Berkeley, CA (www.BayBookFest.org) Saturday, June 4, 10AM to noon, and Sunday, June 5, noon to 2PM, at the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) booth in the Children’s Area at Civic Park. The event is free. Civic Center Park is located on MLK Jr. Way between Center Street and Allston Way in downtown Berkeley. Check out the map at (www.BayBookFest.org)
2015 book presentation and book signings:
- Napa Bookmine, Sat. May 9, 2 PM, 964 Pearl St. Napa, CA
- American Library Association Annual Conference, Saturday and Sunday, June 27 and 28th, 11:00-2:00 PM, Moscone Center, 747 Howard St. San Francisco, CA 94103
I so enjoyed meeting everyone who came out for these events:
- Artwork from Smelling Sunshine exhibited in The Storybook Makers: Original art (and other really cool stuff) from contemporary children’s book illustrators, May 1-June13, 2014; Village Theatre Art Gallery, Danville, CA
- Artwork from Smelling Sunshine exhibited in the 25th Annual Children’s Book Illustrators’ Exhibition, February 7-April 7, 2014, Sun Gallery, Hayward, CA
Presentations and Book Signings:
- Mills College Children’s School, Nov. 20, 2014
- SCBWI Fall Conference, October 18, 2014, Presentation Park, Oakland, CA, book signing
- Saturday, February 1st, 2014, 11:00 AM at Mrs. Dalloway’s Bookstore in Berkeley, 510- 740-8222 http://www.mrsdalloways.com
- Saturday, October 19th, 8:30 AM, 2013 Fall SCBWI Conference San Francisco North and East, http://www.norcaconference.info/ Preservation Park, Oakland; new author panel discussing Smelling Sunshine.
- Meet and Greet, Book Signing: Saturday, November 9th, 12:00 PM, Depot Bookstore in Mill Valley, 415-383-2665 http://www.depotbookstore.com/
To understand more about the process of making a picture book, go to my blog page and find The Next Big Thing Blog Tour where I discuss the writing and illustrating of Smelling Sunshine.